I wish to create an Oracle insert/update trigger to populate a name field in my table with an uppercased and rtrimmed...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
version of the name supplied by the user. This is the trigger I have that does not work:
create or replace trigger userNameTrigger after insert or update of fname, lname on users for each row begin -- save 'standardized' name ufname = rtrim(upper(fname)); ulname = rtrim(upper(lname)); end; / commit
Can you help?
Write something like this:
create or replace trigger userNameTrigger before insert or update on users for each row begin IF inserting or (UPDATING and (:new.fname <> :old.fname OR :new.lname <> :old.fname)) then -- save 'standardized' name :new.ufname := rtrim(upper(:new.fname)); :new.ulname := rtrim(upper(:new.lname)); END IF; end; /
This should work. Note that commit is forbidden inside the trigger definition, so you should put the commit after it in the following script.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.