What exactly does the process stand for in the v$process table.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
The following description of the v$process table comes from the Oracle Reference document:
This view contains information about the currently active processes. While the LATCHWAIT column indicates what latch a process is waiting for, the LATCHSPIN column indicates what latch a process is spinning on. On multi-processor machines, Oracle processes will spin on a latch before waiting on it.
The following list shows each column in v$process and what it contains.
ADDR RAW(4) Address of process state object PID NUMBER Oracle process identifier SPID VARCHAR2 Operating system process identifier USERNAME VARCHAR2 Operating system process username. SERIAL# NUMBER Process serial number TERMINAL VARCHAR2 Operating system terminal identifier PROGRAM VARCHAR2 Program in progress BACKGROUND VARCHAR2 1 for a background process; NULL for a normal process LATCHWAIT VARCHAR2 Address of latch the process is waiting for; NULL if none LATCHSPIN VARCHAR2 Address of latch the process is being spun on; NULL if none
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database export, import and migration
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.