I want to install an Oracle 8.1.7 server that will have a recovery catalog running on the same machine. On that...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
server, my database is Marine, and it will be the only database running on that server. My recovery catalog's name will be MarineCat. But I want my recovery catalog to run on that same machine. What is the process to create this environment? How can I ensure that when my recovery catalog is created, I will run the command: RMAN CATALOG RMAN/RMAN@MARINECAT instead of RMAN CATALOG RMAN/RMAN@MARINE or RMAN CATALOG RMAN/RMAN@OEM?
I have to strongly recommend against putting your recovery catalog in the same database that you will be backing up. If you do this, you will never be able to use RMAN to recovery this database! This essentially makes every single backup you take with this configuration, impossible to use. You will be in a Catch-22 situation when you try to recover and restore your database. You'll need to restore the database to get to your catalog. And you'll need the catalog to restore your database. See the problem?
Please put your recovery catalog in a separate database instance. And this instance should also be on a different server. This has been defined by Oracle IT pros as a "best practice".
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.