Oracle will not let you send faxes natively from the database. So you'll need faxing software of some sort on your database server. Some faxing software will be able to receive email while others will be able to read the data from a disk file. Depending on your software, you can code your trigger to use the UTL_SMTP package to send an email or use the UTL_FILE package to generate a disk file. Then you'll have to figure out how to fire up the faxing software!
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available here.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in May 2002