Is it possible to send e-mail from an Oracle stored procedure or trigger. For example, I want to send mail to the
relevant people if records in a table are older than a certain date.
Yes, using the UTL_SMTP package this is quite easy.
Here's an example directly from the Oracle documentation Supplied Packages Reference: The following code example illustrates how the SMTP package might be used by an application to send email. The application connects to an SMTP server at port 25 and sends a simple text message.
PROCEDURE send_mail (sender IN VARCHAR2, recipient IN VARCHAR2, message IN VARCHAR2) IS mailhost VARCHAR2(30) := 'mailhost.mydomain.com'; mail_conn utl_smtp.connection; BEGIN mail_conn := utl_smtp.open_connection(mailhost, 25); utl_smtp.helo(mail_conn, mailhost); utl_smtp.mail(mail_conn, sender); utl_smtp.rcpt(mail_conn, recipient); utl_smtp.data(mail_conn, message); utl_smtp.quit(mail_conn); EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN -- Handle the error END;Here's a link to another resource for a sample and more indepth explanation of UTL_SMTP: http://gethelp.devx.com/techtips/oracle_pro/10min/10min0602/10min0602.asp. Take a look at the documentation for more details on the functions/procedures in the UTL_SMTP package and you should be well on your way.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig deeper on Oracle stored procedures
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.