Is it possible to send e-mail from an Oracle stored procedure or trigger. For example, I want to send mail to the...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
relevant people if records in a table are older than a certain date.
Yes, using the UTL_SMTP package this is quite easy.
Here's an example directly from the Oracle documentation Supplied Packages Reference: The following code example illustrates how the SMTP package might be used by an application to send email. The application connects to an SMTP server at port 25 and sends a simple text message.
PROCEDURE send_mail (sender IN VARCHAR2, recipient IN VARCHAR2, message IN VARCHAR2) IS mailhost VARCHAR2(30) := 'mailhost.mydomain.com'; mail_conn utl_smtp.connection; BEGIN mail_conn := utl_smtp.open_connection(mailhost, 25); utl_smtp.helo(mail_conn, mailhost); utl_smtp.mail(mail_conn, sender); utl_smtp.rcpt(mail_conn, recipient); utl_smtp.data(mail_conn, message); utl_smtp.quit(mail_conn); EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN -- Handle the error END;Here's a link to another resource for a sample and more indepth explanation of UTL_SMTP: http://gethelp.devx.com/techtips/oracle_pro/10min/10min0602/10min0602.asp. Take a look at the documentation for more details on the functions/procedures in the UTL_SMTP package and you should be well on your way.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle stored procedures
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.