How would you write an SQL statement that would select all of the customers (records) which have the substring...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
"John" in their name from a table called customers?
The LIKE operator and the % wildcard token would be the best bet here:
select * from Customers where FullName like '%john%';
select * from Customers where lower(FullName) like '%john%';
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the edtiors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best SQL Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle and SQL
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.