I am testing an ODBC connection from AIX (5.1) to Win2000 Server where we have an Oracle database (8.1.7). On AIX I have only the Oracle client software (184.108.40.206) installed (no database or listener). There is an ODBC driver from Merant on AIX too. The SQL*Plus connection works fine from AIX to Win2000, but when I test the ODBC connecion I get the message 'ORA-6401 NETCMN Invalid driver designator'. I am testing with the command 'sqlplus...
userid/passwd@odbc:xxx.world', where xxx.world is the database connection name from tnsnames.ora. What other environment variables should I have?
Have you looked at using Oracle's ODBC drivers on your AIX system? It has been my experience that Oracle's ODBC drivers work really well with Oracle databases. These drivers should be installed with your Oracle client installation. See if the Oracle ODBC drivers work for you.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.