Unfortunately, the best resource for this type of error is Metalink. I do not know of any book that explains this error in any detail.
The crux of your problems is typically one of three things. One, you do not have enough swap space dedicated. Two, you have reached the maximum number of open TCP/IP sockets allowed on your system. Each system defines this seperately, so you'll have to consult with your system administrator. Three, your server has too many open files. Again, each system defines this seperately, so you'll have to consult with your system administrator.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in December 2002