rom my Oracle 8i client mechine, when I try to connect to the 9i Oracle server, I get the following error (I had...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
tried by 1) Net8 easy config and 2) Net8 configuration assistant):
ORA-12514 TNS listener could not resolve service_name in connect descriptor.Please also tell me how I can check the consistency of the listener on the server.
Service Name/SID = TESTDB1
Host Name/Server Name = NBDB
Port Number = 1521
The ORA-12514 error is most typically generated when the database in the SERVICE_NAME parameter of your entry in the TNSNAMES.ORA file does not match any databases running on your server. In your case, this database name is TESTDB1. Make sure that they are both the same.
If you want to check your listener, issue the following command-line command: "lsnrctl status". Typing "lsnrctl help" will give you more commands.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.