The database SID name, host and port have been added to the listener. However, I can't connect to the database,...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
and there is an error displaying (ORA-12505 TNS Could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor), although when I use tnsping80 it works with me!! The other users can connect, but I can't connect, and even my neighbor can't ping it!! Do you think the problem from the sub network???? Thanks in advance.
tnsping doesn't prove that you can connect. Your SID or SERVICE it probably wrong in the tnsnames entry. tnsping only shows that "there is a listener on that port". It does not show that "the database you want that listener to hook you up with exists and is up"
Check your tnsnames.ora file ($ORACLE_HOME/network/admin) and make sure you have all the entries correct.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle error messages
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.