I need to put a database on two servers, and I want them to be the same: If I change one of them, the second one...
should take this change, for example adding columns, removing, and whatever else.
What you are asking to do is to replicate your database between two different servers. Oracle sells an addional product called Advanced Replication. With replication, you can set up one database to be the MASTER with all changes propagated to the other. You can even have two-way replication if you desire. But keep in mind that you will have to license the database and replication on both servers. This cost can add up quickly!
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.