I am presenting available options to IT management for implementing a disaster recovery plan. I've been asked to...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
document the pros and cons of an Oracle 8i standby server. Can you help? The pros are:
- Easy setup
- Separate databases protect against Oracle errors
- It's free
- Lag time before the standby is updated could allow for recovery from user's error (if a user drops a table, you could get it back from the other instance).
The cons are:
- The lag time allows for the loss of database of the standby database (the standby database is only as good as the last log applied there)
- There is only one failover possible (you can't fail back)
- No transparent application failover (jobs/queries would have to be restarted on the standby database)
- Manual reconfiguration of the standby database for certain events
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.