There are pros and cons of any action in the databas, and auditing is one of them.
One of the problems with auditing is that it adds overhead to the system. In your case, each logon/logoff action is written to a table somewhere. That table requires space. And as you've already seen, one should move SYS.AUD$ to a different tablespace.
The pros of auditing are that you have reliable, factual information to help resolve problems. You know who did what, and when.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in December 2002