Oracle 9i is only supported on Win XP Pro. The standard version of Win XP will not work and problems such as yours have been reported by others. Please upgrade to Win XP Pro if you plan on installing Oracle 9i. Or, you can use Win 2000 Pro if you want to stay on the Windows platforms.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in June 2002