I am trying to install Oracle 9i on a machine running Windows XP, but when I get to the point where I create the database, I go through all the options to create the new database, and when I hit finish, nothing happens. It does not give me an error message, but the database has not been created. I have tried installing the software and then going to the 'configuration assistant' to create the database, but I still run into the same...
problem. I need help!
Oracle 9i is only supported on Win XP Pro. The standard version of Win XP will not work and problems such as yours have been reported by others. Please upgrade to Win XP Pro if you plan on installing Oracle 9i. Or, you can use Win 2000 Pro if you want to stay on the Windows platforms.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.