Here we are using Oracle Enterprise Server 8.1.7. The problem is at a time, only one database is able to connect....
So each time, I stop one database and start the other database. Please help on this.
On the server side, we have loaded following application software:
1. W2K advanced server
2. Crystal enterprise 8.0
3. Crystal professional 8.5
4. Lotus client
To connect to a different database you'll need to set up your Network definitions properly. In your %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin directory, there should be a file called TNSNAMES.ORA. If there is no such file, create one. Otherwise, open it up. Add an entry similar to this in that file:
db_name = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP) (Host = myhost) (Port = 1521) ) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = db_name) ) )Make sure that you substitute values for "db_name" and "myhost". The SID is your database identifier uniquely identifying your different databases. Put a second entry for your second database similar to the above entry. Then save your TNSNAMES.ORA file.
Once that is done, to connect to a database, try the following from a DOS prompt:
sqlplus username@db_nameThe tool will look up the "db_name" entry in your TNSNAMES.ORA file and use that information to find out how to connect to your database!
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.