I believe that the primary and standby database must both be Enterprise Edition. They do not need to be the same OS, so long as you transport the archived redo logs through TCP/IP. If you transport the logs through a crossmount, then they should be the same OS. And yes, you will have to buy a license for the standby database, even if it is sitting in standby mode. But check with your Oracle Sales representative to be sure.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in July 2002