Sybase has Sybase central, which is a GUI administration tool for Solaris & NT. Is there an equivalent tool in Oracle 9i? I know Sybase very well, but now I have to temporally use an Oracle database, so I am looking for a quick admin tool to build and populate a database.
Oracle's GUI-based admin tool is Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM). It's pretty comprehensive and can be used to administer all of your Oracle database in your enterprise regardless of platform.
If you want to create a database, you'll want to use the Database Configuration Assistant (DBCA). The DBCA is a GUI tool to create databases. It is not part of OEM. Luckily, when you install the Oracle software, this tool is invoked at the end of the installation to create a database.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.