1) Because I don't have the experience, I want to become certified in Oracle (OCP) in hopes of getting my foot in the door. Do you think getting certified can help me get my foot in the door?
2) Can I become certified without taking these expensive courses? Is it possible to pass the exams with self-study?
3) If so, are there books you recommend for studying for the OCP exams? And I assume that the Oracle applications can be downloaded from the Oracle site for study, correct?
Any advice you give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
2) Yes and No. You can take an Oracle OCA (Oracle Certified Associate) test without formal training, but the OCP requires you to attend an instructor-led course. Here is the official link to Oracle's site that explains the different levels of certification and the requirements for achieving them.
3) You can indeed download the database software from Oracle's technology network site. As for book recommendations, please see my detailed answer on the subject, "What is the best book for Oracle certification?"
This was first published in February 2008