When you start an Oracle database, the instance places locks on each datafile. This prevents other instances from opening those datafiles. This is most likely your problem you are experiencing. The only solution around this is to implement Real Application Clusters (RAC). RAC is the only approved solution for letting multiple instances use the same shared disk files.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in April 2003