To give you a full backup script here would be a bit too long, so I'm going to refer you to a couple of sources. First, an Oracle Press book written by Rama Velpuri and Anand Adkoli: Oracle8i Backup & Recovery Handbook. This book has a wealth of scripts for several different platforms, including UNIX. As a matter of fact, Chapter 5 is an entire chapter of backup scripts! The UNIX environment ones are very good and very thorough. The scripts are well-documented and should give you everything you need.
Another alternative, available on the Web, is a downloadable UNIX backup script located at http://www.orsweb.com/memberarea/downloads/source/420.htm. This site, The Oracle Resource Stop, has lots and lots of good scripts and this cold backup one is short and sweet.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in January 2002