Do you know of quick way to relocate/move redo files from one partition to another? I am running Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris. I remember doing this before.
Moving datafiles is pretty quick and easy. Just follow these steps:
- Bring the datafile's tablespace(s) offline:
ALTER TABLESPACE OFFLINE;
- Use OS commands to move the datafiles.
- Tell the database where the datafiles are now located:
ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE '/old_dir/filename' TO '/new_dir/filename';Do this for every datafile you moved.
- Bring the tablespace(s) back online.
ALTER TABLESPACE ONLINE;
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.