The minimum server configuration depends on several factors such as the installed options, server usage, using Enterprise Edition vs. Standard Edition, etc. You did not mention which platform you wish to install Oracle 9i on. I'll give you the figures for Oracle 9i on Windows as a guide, but please refer to the platform specific documentation (http://technet.oracle.com).
Oracle Corp. is recommending the following server capacities for Oracle 9i running on Windows:
Memory: 128 MB (256 MB recommended) Disk Space: 2.75 GB for software install. More for the database itself. Operating System: Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 CPU: Pentium 166 (Pentium 233 recommended)
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in February 2002