When you create your HTML page, you will need to create an HTML form within that page. The FORM tag includes the ACTION parameter. This parameter tells the Web server what to do next when someone presses the SUBMIT button. There are a variety of platforms available to handle the submitting of the form contents to a page to handle those contents. These platforms include (but are not limited to) Active Server Pages (ASPs), Java Server Pages (JSPs), Perl CGI scripts, and ColdFusion pages. Your Web server needs to have the appropriate software to handle your specific platform. Within each of these platforms is the ability to connect to your database, issue queries, and do things like insert data into the database. I would go into more detail, but the details are tied directly to your application server's technology.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in January 2003