Are there known issues concerning the installation of sp2 or sp3 on Win2000 Advanced Server running Oracle 8.1.7...
There is a known problem/bug with trying to install 8.1.7 on W2K sp 3 on a Pentium 4 where the installer just doesn't want to start up due to some problem with an incompatible JIT compiler (symcjit.dll). This can be gotten around as follows:
- Copy your CD
Oracle8i Client Release 3 (8.1.7) for Microsoft Windows 95/98/2000/NT Part #: A87675-01to your hard disk (e.g. to C:\oracle\Oraclient8.1.7)
- Rename the file
C:\oracle\Oraclient8.1.7\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\ 188.8.131.52\1\DataFiles\Expanded\jre\win32\bin\symcjit.dllto (e.g.) symcjit.dll.ori
- Disable "Read Only" for C:\oracle\Oraclient8.1.7\install\oraparam.ini and edit the file like this:
[Oracle] ...this original line:
JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms16m -mx32mSave the file a set "Read Only".
- Run Oracle Universal Installer
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database performance problems and tuning
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.