Are there known issues concerning the installation of sp2 or sp3 on Win2000 Advanced Server running Oracle 8.1.7...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
There is a known problem/bug with trying to install 8.1.7 on W2K sp 3 on a Pentium 4 where the installer just doesn't want to start up due to some problem with an incompatible JIT compiler (symcjit.dll). This can be gotten around as follows:
- Copy your CD
Oracle8i Client Release 3 (8.1.7) for Microsoft Windows 95/98/2000/NT Part #: A87675-01to your hard disk (e.g. to C:\oracle\Oraclient8.1.7)
- Rename the file
C:\oracle\Oraclient8.1.7\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\ 126.96.36.199\1\DataFiles\Expanded\jre\win32\bin\symcjit.dllto (e.g.) symcjit.dll.ori
- Disable "Read Only" for C:\oracle\Oraclient8.1.7\install\oraparam.ini and edit the file like this:
[Oracle] ...this original line:
JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms16m -mx32mSave the file a set "Read Only".
- Run Oracle Universal Installer
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database performance problems and tuning
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.