The basic installation goes something like this:
1. Insert your CD-ROM into the CD drive. Autorun
should startup the program for you.
2. From the menu, choose Install/Deinstall Products
3. Click on Next
4. Click on Next
5. Choose Oracle 8i Personal Edition and click Next
6. Choose Typical and click on Next
7. Click on Install
That will install the starter database for you. For more information, refer to the documentation located on the CD. After you insert the CD, you can click on Browse Documentation, Documentation, and then choose either the HTML of PDF version of the Oracle 8i Installation Guide.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in March 2002