I have five dump files, and I have to import those five dump files into one single (Oracle8i) database without...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
data duplication. The database structures of the five dumps are the same. Please give me the solution.
If these dump files are flat files, like comma-delimited values, then you can use SQL*Loader to accomplish your task. Create a table to load the data into. Create a Primary Key on that table to ensure that duplicate values are not loaded. Then, use SQL*Load to load each of the file's data into that table. When SQL*Loader hits a duplicate record, it will be "discarded". All discarded records will be found in the the discard file you specify in your SQL*Loader control file.
If these dump files are Oracle's export utility dump files, then I'd suggest loading each one into a separate table. You can then use simple SQL commands to insert into one master table those records which are not duplicates.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.