Is possible import a export file(dmp) from Oracle 8.0 to Oracle 7.3 (under Windows NT both)?
Here's the answer straight from the Oracle Utilities guide:
"You can create an Oracle release 7 export file from an Oracle8 database by running Oracle release 7 Export against an Oracle8 server. To do so, however, the user SYS must first run the CATEXP7.SQL script, which creates the export views that make the database look, to Export, like an Oracle release 7 database.
Note: An Oracle8 Export requires that the CATEXP.SQL script is run against the database before performing the Export. CATEXP.SQL is usually run automatically when the user SYS runs CATALOG.SQL to create the necessary views. CATEXP7.SQL, however, is not run automatically and must be executed manually. CATEXP7.SQL and CATEXP.SQL can be run in any order; after one of these scripts has been run, it need not be run again."
So...in order to import the data from 8.0 into 7.3, you must create the export dmp file using the Oracle 7 release of Export. Then when you use the Oracle 7 release of Import it will understand the contents of the dmp file. If you tried to just export from your 8.0 version and directly import that using 7, it would fail.
Hope this helps!
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig deeper on Oracle database export, import and migration
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.