I have a query below that I would like to change into a NOT EXITS to see if it would be more efficient. How would...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
I convert the below query into a COUNT with NOT EXITS?
select count(distinct(serv_item.serv_item_id)) from serv_item where serv_item.status = '6' and serv_item.serv_item_id not in (select pbi_bill_activation.tbs_id from pbi_bill_activation where pbi_bill_activation.tbs_id_type in ('EUL','OFFER','S800I','SCRDI','SDIDI'));
Here is a sample NOT IN query:
select * from MyTable where MyCol not in ( select MyCol from MyOtherTable )The following query has the same results, though it uses a NOT EXISTS. Not the sub-query is correlated.
select * from MyTable where not exists ( select * from MyOtherTable where MyCol = MyTable.MyCol )Although you could easily rewrite your query using my example, I'll do it here to further illustrate the concept.
select count(distinct(serv_item.serv_item_id)) from serv_item where serv_item.status = '6' and not exists ( select pbi_bill_activation.tbs_id from pbi_bill_activation where pbi_bill_activation.tbs_id_type in ('EUL','OFFER','S800I','SCRDI','SDIDI') and pbi_bill_activation = serv_item.serv_item_id )
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL questions from Jason Law are available here.
- The Best SQL Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle and SQL
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.