I am a programmer and want to protect my software from being copied by other users. In this connection, I want...
to get the hard disk serial number through the Oracle server.
You cannot directly access that information through Oracle. You'll need to create a C or Java program (for example) that gets the info and then you can call that program from within Oracle. If you can use Java to get what you want, you can create and compile the Java program inside Oracle and use it like any "normal" Oracle function. A good way to gather more info on creating Java procedures with Oracle is to search this site or even do a Google search for "Java Stored Procedures" and similar keyword searches. You'll also find lots of info on Oracle's TechNet site.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.