I have two Oracle databases, one located in my PC named test, the other located on the server named mydb. Normally,...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
when I use "tnsping test" and "tnsping mydb" at both PC and server, the results I get are ok. One day, the server was down due to a power supply problem, and when it restarted again, I only had to issue "startup open" to startup the database, and it seemed to work well. But at the server, when I issued "tnsping test" to ping the database at my PC) and "tnsping mydb" (to ping itself), the following error occured:
/ [oracle@thunghiem oracle]$ tnsping test TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 126.96.36.199.0 - Production on 16-OCT-2002 07:47:50 Copyright (c) 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Segmentation fault /
When your server crashed, it is possible that some library files or executables became corrupt. Did you run a file system check after the server was rebooted? It sounds like you might want to reinstall the Oracle software and recompile the binary executables. This should fix your segmentation fault problem.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.