create public database link ware connect to myuser identified by mypasswordUsing 'ware'; this was done on my PC, and I got 'database link created.' Then I issued the SQL statement 'select sysdate from dual@ware;' for testing but I got an error saying 'database link ware connects to oracle.world'. Could you please guide me to the solution?
First, check to make sure that your TNS alias in TNSNAMES.ORA is working correctly. You can do this by issuing 'tnsping ware'. You should either see an error message or 'OK'.
If this works fine, then check your NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN parameter in your server's SQLNET.ORA file. If not set, then this value defaults to 'world'. Note this value.
Then try to recreate your database link as follows:
create public database link ware connect to myuser identified by mypassword using 'ware.world';In the above statement, use your default domain if not ".world". Let me know how things work! If it is still not working, then send me the exact error message you get.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in September 2002