I am getting errors while trying to connect Forms Builder to the database. First I got ORA-12154: could not resolve...
service name, and then I tried to create a service name through Net8 configuration assistant, but then it gave me this error: ORA-12505 TNS: listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor. I am getting this problem whenever I install Oracle 8i personal edition and then Developer 6i. Is there any standard way to install Developer 6i, and what things do I need to watch out for so that I don't get this problem?
First, you need to make sure that you followed the instructions for installing the two products and that your path for the database binaries $ORACLE_HOME/bin is set correctly. There are several notes on Metalink about this process and I'd suggest you check there for much more detail about your specific problem. Do a search on Forms Install.
Second, if you did all that and are still having trouble, you need to make sure that you are providing the correct information to the config assistanct. You need to make sure that the service name you're using is exact. For instance, make sure you use the full name such as mydb.mycompany.com. You may be using either an incorrect name or an incorrect port when trying to configure the service.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database performance problems and tuning
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.