For RAC, you'll need (and want) to use raw filesystems. This is required on those files that need to be shared among instances.
Since you know that you will go in this direction in the future, then I'd suggest starting out with raw filesystems now. There are tools which can do the conversion for you, and Veritas may have such a tool. But why not start with raw filesystems and avoid any migration headaches in the future?
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in September 2002