If I understand your question correctly, you are asking how to load a data file of variable-length and are trying to determine how to enter that in your control file. Well, the better choice would be to not include the actual data in the control file itself, but keep it separate in it's own data file. When listing the data to load in the control file, the INFILE parameter is set to * (e.g. INFILE *). Then you have a BEGINDATA parameter listed later to indicate the beginning of your data. If you are getting periodic data files created/downloaded from your mainframe, then just create your control file to read the data from the external file by having INFILE list the actual filename to load (e.g. INFILE 'dumpfile.txt'). The control file then would not have the actual data in it, only the parameters need to define the load.
If I've misinterpreted your question, please let me know and I?ll try again!
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle, SQL, and Database Design gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in August 2001