There is an excellent paper on cube partitioning strategies called "Parallelizing The Data Cube (Journal Version)" from F. Dehne, T. Eavis, S. Hambrusch, A. Rau-Chaplin. See link below:
There is good paper on horizontal and vertical partitioning strategies for SQL Server written in February 1997 by Robert D. Schneider called: Horizontal and Vertical Partitioning. See link below:
Another paper provides an overview of Vertical Partitioning on Object Oriented databases. See link below:
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough data warehousing questions from Mike Lampa are available here.
- The Best Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an DW tip to offer your fellow administrators and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical data warehousing questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in November 2002