There is an excellent paper on cube partitioning strategies called "Parallelizing The Data Cube (Journal Version)"...
from F. Dehne, T. Eavis, S. Hambrusch, A. Rau-Chaplin. See link below:
There is good paper on horizontal and vertical partitioning strategies for SQL Server written in February 1997 by Robert D. Schneider called: Horizontal and Vertical Partitioning. See link below:
Another paper provides an overview of Vertical Partitioning on Object Oriented databases. See link below:
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough data warehousing questions from Mike Lampa are available here.
- The Best Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an DW tip to offer your fellow administrators and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical data warehousing questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Related Q&A from Mike Lampa
When trying to design a data warehouse, we often try to model the database on the operational data model. Are there any guidelines in trying to ...continue reading
What is a surrogate key in a table?continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.