You can either use the DBCA (Database Configuration Assistant) to guide you through the process or create the second...
To create the database manually, you can refer to the Oracle9i Database Administrator's Guide Release 2 (9.2) available on the Oracle Technology Network (OTN) here.
Basically, at a high level, the steps involved are as follows:
- Decide on your instance identifier (SID).
- Establish the database administrator authentication method.
- Create the initialization parameter file.
- Connect to the instance.
- Start the instance.
- Issue the CREATE DATABASE statement.
- Create additional tablespaces.
- Run scripts to build data dictionary views.
- Run scripts to install additional options (optional).
- Create a server parameter file (recommended).
- Back up the database.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database installation, upgrades and patches
Related Q&A from Maria Anderson
We would like to migrate our database from Oracle 8.1.7 to Oracle 10g. We would like to know the impact for our application developed using Delphi ...continue reading
Can I use /var/opt/oracle/oratab to specify listener information?continue reading
I have been trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 on SUSE Linux 9.0 and got the error: "Error in invoking target install of makefile /opt/oracle/...../*.mk."continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.