You can either use the DBCA (Database Configuration Assistant) to guide you through the process or create the second database manually.
To create the database manually, you can refer to the Oracle9i Database Administrator's Guide Release 2 (9.2) available on the Oracle Technology Network (OTN) here.
Basically, at a high level, the steps involved are as follows:
- Decide on your instance identifier (SID).
- Establish the database administrator authentication method.
- Create the initialization parameter file.
- Connect to the instance.
- Start the instance.
- Issue the CREATE DATABASE statement.
- Create additional tablespaces.
- Run scripts to build data dictionary views.
- Run scripts to install additional options (optional).
- Create a server parameter file (recommended).
- Back up the database.
This was first published in February 2006