How do you create a new user and give them all the rights on an Oracle 8i database?
To create a new user, you use the CREATE USER command. For instance:
CREATE USER new_user IDENTIFIED BY new_password;That just creates the user. The user will need to be granted privileges to create a session and create objects. Typically, this is done by granting two roles to the user.
GRANT connect,resource TO new_user;This user can now create tables, indexes, and stored procedures.
For more information, refer to the Oracle 8i Database Administration Guide.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.