I am planning to have a pizza resaurant. Could you please give me some suggestion on how to make a database for...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
this restaurant? What kind of information do I need to put in? Could you please describe the tables and fields by using the ER diagram? For managerial decision-making, what queries do I need? And what about for operational decision-making?
You need to think about what kind of business questions you want to answer to determine how you want to design your database. These questions will help you decide what tables and columns you need to answer those questions, which will help you create an ER diagram.
You'll need to decide what kind of management style you want to use in order to know what kind of queries you'll need. If you are using a Keysian style, you?ll use a very different set of queries than if you use a Nash style. Operational queries fall into several different categories too. You'll have to decide which style of queries suit your personality and management style, rather than determine the queries from the database.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough database design questions from Pat Phelan are available here.
- The Best Database Design Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your database design -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Related Q&A from Pat Phelan
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.