By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
- Install Oracle 9i on your Windows 2000/2003 server.
- Use the DBCA to precreate a database on this server.
- Precreate any users and tablespaces you'll need in this new database.
- On the old database server, use Oracle's export utility to dump the entire contents of the database:
exp userid=system file=mydb.dmp full=y
- Transfer the dump file to your new database server. If using the FTP utility, make sure your FTP is in BINARY mode.
- Use the import utility to ingest the dump file contents:
imp userid=system file=mydb.dmp full=y
Dig Deeper on Oracle database backup and recovery
Related Q&A from Brian Peasland
Oracle expert Brian Peasland answers one reader's question about common pitfalls when connecting Oracle to outside programs.continue reading
One reader asks expert Brian Peasland a question about datafile sizes with the Oracle RMAN duplicate 10g command.continue reading
Managing parent table-child table relations in Oracle SQL environments is key to efficient programming.continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.