I have some numbers which are not uniform in size. Now if I have to put '.TIF' at the end of each number, which...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
command can I use? For example, 123, 4567, 78901. This I want to update as 123.TIF, 4567.TIF...
All you need to do here is CAST the number as a VARCHAR datatype and then do the concatenation --
select cast(yournumber as varchar(8)) || '.TIF' from yourtable
When the number is converted to VARCHAR, it becomes a string that is just long enough to hold the digits of the number. Use a varchar length that is big enough to hold the largest number.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL questions from Rudy Limeback.
- The Best SQL Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle and SQL
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.