I intend to use LDAP with Oracle. I know OiD is also LDAP v3, so can you give me advice in comparing LDAP and OiD;...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
which is better? If OiD, please guide me about it (download, install) I have installed Ora9iRDBMS -- does it contain OiD? I saw in the directory $ORACLE_HOME/bin/ some file such as ldapadd, ldapdelete.... What is their advantage and how do I use them?
One can't really compare LDAP with OiD. LDAP is the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol. LDAP is an industry standard. OiD, Oracle Internet Directory, is Oracle Corp's implementation of LDAP, this industry standard. It's like trying to compare an automobile with the Ford Mustang. The Mustang is Ford Motor Company's implementation of an automobile. Other implementations may differ. OiD is Oracle's implementation of LDAP. Other companies have their own implementations. Microsoft's implementation of LDAP is Active Directory (AD).
The Oracle RDBMS software does come with OiD on the distribution media. I believe that you can also download this separately on Technet. I suggest you visit this Web site. In addition to the software for download, you can also view the documentation, which describes the purpose of the software in addition to the installation and configuration.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.