I have declared the following object type in Oracle 8i:
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE currentaccount_objtype AS OBJECT( account_no NUMBER, balance NUMBER, status VARCHAR(10) MEMBER FUNCTION getaccount RETURN NUMBER );
The MEMBER FUNCTION in the type declaration you included is simply the interface. Next, you'll need to write the implementation. That is done with CREATE TYPE BODY. Here's how you might code your GetAccount function:
CREATE TYPE BODY CurrentAccount_ObjType AS MEMBER FUNCTION GetAccount RETURN NUMBER IS BEGIN Return Account_No; END GetAccount; END;
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the edtiors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best SQL Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle and SQL
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.