This is a character set related question. I'm working with Oracle9i on Windows2000. When working in SQL*Plus, I can alter the characteres to and see them correctly printed. I'm Portuguese. This is in SQL*Plus for Windows. But when I try the same thing in Sql*Plus for DOS, the special characters don't appear correctly. Have any ideas why not?
SQL*Plus for Windows will use whatever fonts are available to the Windows workstation. That is why you can see these special characters.
SQL*Plus for DOS will not use different fonts. You are left with the DOS font of your session. So you will not be able to see these special characters. It is just a matter of how the two different tools were developed.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.