Please advise on changing data in a varchar2 column to all uppercase. It currently holds a mix of upper- and l...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
You can make the change to all current rows with a single update statement as follows:
UPDATE my_table SET my_column = UPPER(my_column) ;You could then also "force" all future data entered into that column to be stored in upper case by creating a simple trigger as follows:
CREATE TRIGGER make_upper BEFORE UPDATE OR INSERT ON my_table FOR EACH ROW begin :new.my_column := upper(:new.my_column) ; end ; /
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.