You can make the change to all current rows with a single update statement as follows:
UPDATE my_table SET my_column = UPPER(my_column) ;You could then also "force" all future data entered into that column to be stored in upper case by creating a simple trigger as follows:
CREATE TRIGGER make_upper BEFORE UPDATE OR INSERT ON my_table FOR EACH ROW begin :new.my_column := upper(:new.my_column) ; end ; /
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in May 2002