The short answer is no, I don't think that any type of metadata is directly importable from one ETL tool to Informatica....
The ETL tool vendors are not that comfortable with their market position to make it easy to convert amongst themselves. To my knowledge, no independent software providers have developed any utilities.
However, with some work, it might be possible to export from the current tool to a common format, then into Informatica. It may be possible to generate sources/targets from the original tool into a DDL or a database, then import into Informatica. There will be even less of a chance of exporting mapping logic from one tool to another.
Editor's Note: Expert Debbie Hamel also answered this question. Read her response here: http://www.searchDatabase.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid13_cid466063_tax288371,00.html
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an DW tip to offer your fellow administrators and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical data warehousing questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle DBA jobs, training and certification
Related Q&A from Mike Lampa
When trying to design a data warehouse, we often try to model the database on the operational data model. Are there any guidelines in trying to ...continue reading
What is a surrogate key in a table?continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.