I want to call variable name packages because the name of the package changes in some states. For example:
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
if i = 1 then exm_pck.pr_exm(x,x) elsif i = 2 then exm_pck.pr_exm(x,x) . . .The names of the packages and the states are in the a table.
select pck_name , state_name into v_pck_name, v_state_name from xxx_table where state_name = 'XXX'How can I call the v_pck_name without using a dynamic SQL command?
In your PL/SQL block, you can use a simple IF-THEN-ELSE statement to choose how to call a stored procedure, based on a value you have. To illustrate, look at the following sample code:
BEGIN SELECT pck_name, state_name INTO v_pck_name, v_stat_name FROM xxx_table WHERE state_name='XXX';-- Depending on package name, run the appropriate package
IF (v_pck_name='PKG1') THEN exm_pkg1.pr_exam(x,x); ELSIF (v_pck_name='PKG2') THEN exm_pkg2.pr_exam(x,x); ELSE DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('No valid package'); END IF; END;It should be easy to see how the IF-THEN-ELSE is used to determine which package to use.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.