Bringing data together for an enterprise is an excellent (and most often driving factor) for implementing a data...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
warehouse. To develop an HR data model that reflects the corporate view of the HR function, spend some time really understanding the business information needs (what questions are the corporate folks needing to get answers to and what metrics and measures do they need to help answer those questions). Build this information into a data model as well (this is your access layer data model). Determine and define the rules for enforcing conformance of data from the 15 locations in order for them to fit into the corporate view. This forms the basis of your transformation from the 15 sources to the corporate view. Map those sources to the Target and implement the software and scheduling to continually pull the information from the sources to your target corporate view.
Of course, this is a simplistic view of the work needed.
You might look into a hosted data warehouse solution as well. This provides a cost effective and expeditious means to implement business intelligence functionality for your company without causing a lot of technology change in your company.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an DW tip to offer your fellow administrators and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical data warehousing questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle data warehousing
Related Q&A from Mike Lampa
When trying to design a data warehouse, we often try to model the database on the operational data model. Are there any guidelines in trying to ...continue reading
What is a surrogate key in a table?continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.