1) Can you use "regular" OS backup scripts to perform a hot backup in a RAC environment?
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
2) Are the redo logs (both sets) required for such a hot backup?
3) What are all the additional files that need to be captured for such scripts?(i.e. ocr_registry, vote_disk, etc..) ?
2) Many people say to not backup the online redo logs as you won't need them if you lose them. However, I have always backed up my online redo logs for two reasons. One, it makes my backups much easier. Two, I'd rather have a copy of everything than to be missing something I find out later I really need. I'm not sure when reason Two would come into play, but I sleep better at night knowing I have copied everything.
3) Backup your password file, your parameter file, and your Oracle home directories. You will also need to backup your OCR and voting disk contents. For the voting disk backup, you will want to use the 'dd' command. The OCR is automatically backed up, but I backup its backups in case I lose the disk containing the backups.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database administration
Related Q&A from Brian Peasland
Oracle expert Brian Peasland answers one reader's question about common pitfalls when connecting Oracle to outside programs.continue reading
One reader asks expert Brian Peasland a question about datafile sizes with the Oracle RMAN duplicate 10g command.continue reading
Managing parent table-child table relations in Oracle SQL environments is key to efficient programming.continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.