I need to analyze and monitor the Oracle database for its performance, disk usage, tablespace usage, I/O contentions and any other parameters (which I am not aware of but are necessary while making decisions). Also it would be helpful if I could to know the ways to solve the associated problems.
I'd advise that you buy yourself a copy of Oracle Performance Tuning 101 by Gaja Vaidyanatha, Kirtikumar Deshpande and John Kostelac (from Oracle Press) to give you a good performance tuning foundation of information. Also check into implementing Statspack to gather statistics. Don Burleson has both an Oracle 8i and 9i version of Performance Tuning with Statspack (also put out by Oracle Press).
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.